At Canine Kinetics, we can help rehabilitate a wide range of post surgical conditions such as :
- Stifle (knee) surgery : Cranial cruciate ligament rupture (Tibial osteotomies, intra/extracapsular stabilisation,) patella luxation
-Shoulder surgery: Osteochondritis Dissecans, bicepitial tenosynovitis, tendinopathies, medial shoulder instability, contractures
-Elbow surgery: Elbow dysplasia (Ununited anconeal process, osteochondritis dissecans, fragmented medial coronoid process)
-Pelvic Conditions: Hip dysplasia
-Avulsions and tendon rupture management
-Osteoarthritis management: Joint replacement, athrodesis, arthroplasty,
We also play a role in prehab- where rehabilitation starts before surgery with the aim to get your dog as strong as they can possibly be before surgery, which will help with how quickly your dog will bounce back after surgery.
How can physiotherapy help your dog after surgery?
- Physiotherapy can help to reduce oedema and inflammation directly after surgery using massage, cold laser or other electrotherapy modalities.
- Can assist with wound healing
- Pain management
- Education is key! It is important for the owner to understand healing time frames, home environment set up, home exercise program, and activity restrictions so that the owner can also assist with recovery.
- Recommendations and assessments for braces and supports if needed.
- Tailored strength and conditioning programs
- Hydrotherapy - can help build strength, endurance and promote limb use in a functional way.